by SALIM AL AFIFI
Let’s face it. Food and beverage are one of the main determining factors when choosing a place to stay, as hotels and resorts tend to offer something extra special in the dining department, something we look forward to exploring as part of the hotel experience. In Oman, we have a number of beautiful hotels set against rugged and urban backdrops and known for serving nothing but culinary excellence in a five-star setting.
Here are five hotels that craft the best menus for lovers of food.
1. Shangri-La Barr Al Jissah Resort and Spa
Shangri-La has 15 dining and lounging outlets spread across its three properties (one which became an independent destination, Shangri-La Al Husn Resort and Spa), with masterchefs preparing quality food from the local and international kitchen.
– Shahrazad for authentic Moroccan, Lebanese and Omani dishes.
– Sultanah for an elegant, sophisticated dinner inspired by the Spanish cuisine.
– Bait Al Bahar for freshly caught, Omani-style cooked seafood. The place is famous for its succulent grills. And, the beachfront atmosphere at the place is unbeatable.
Location: Shangri-La Al Husn Resort & Spa
Contact: +968 2477 6565
2. Crowne Plaza Muscat OCEC
The newly opened hotel has a couple of exciting offerings that are quite the buzz in town. They have a new-to-Oman brunch concept for the party people and a Thai restaurant that promises to transport your culinary senses to the land of smiles.
– Charm Thai for authentic, delectable Thai cuisine. Its stunning interior that tells the story of the golden princess on her legendary travels from Thailand to Oman is something to marvel at.
– Mosaic for Friday brunches where a DJ spins dance-floor records as you lunch with your buddies. An interesting atmosphere for lovers of music.
Location: Airport Heights, Muscat
Contact: +968 2425 2000
3. Sheraton Oman
Though it is located at the very end of the capital, Sheraton has some of our favourite dining spots that satisfy the pickiest of eaters. From afternoon teas to seafood extravaganzas and meaty escapades.
– Picnic Brunch for a laid back, family session at the garden, with live cooking stations, kids activities, and pool access.
– Seafood Night for fervent lovers of seafood. Known as one of the best in town!
– Tea Library for a perfect cup of premium tea, cakes and lovely pastries. The interior is one of our absolute favourite, a dream for admirers of art and mosaic patterns.
– Asado for fire-kissed meats made the South American way. Make sure to stop by on Thursdays for a special Gaucho Thursdays, a flamed up banquet for carnivores.
Location: Ruwi, Muscat
Contact: +968 2237 7777
4. InterContinental Muscat
InterContinental Muscat hosts one of the capital’s most popular spots: Trader Vic’s. The place is known for its succulent dishes and designer drinks served with an island flair and the right amount of flamboyance. Inside the hotel, you’d also find the newly opened Takara, a Japanese restaurant for lovers of Sushi.
– Trader Vic’s for haute adult drinks, thirst-quenching mocktails and lots of good food. make sure to try their calamaris!
– Takara for authentic Japanese dishes served in a traditional Japanese ambience.
5. Al Bustan Palace, A Ritz-Carlton Hotel
Spending a weekend at Al Bustan is always a good time, especially for foodies; the palace has reopened with two revamped diners. You can indulge in an intimate dinner by the beach at Beach Pavilion Bar & Grill, dive into the breakfast buffet for a hearty meal at Al Khiran Kitchen terrace, or explore the best of Chinese kitchen at China Mood.
– China Mood for an authentic Chinese dining experience.
– Beach Pavilion Bar & Grill for a romantic lunch and dinner by the ocean. Their Friday brunch is not to be missed, too.
Location: Al Bustan Street, Muscat
Contact: +968 2479 9666